Although I do enjoy a trip abroad, I really love a little staycation or day trip right here in the UK. It is a great way to explore a new place (or an old favourite) without the stress of packing, finding your passport or having to take time off work. I actually have a trip or two booked in in the upcoming months but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t more places that I want to visit. Right now, these are the places that are top of my list for a visit in the immediate future.
- Stratford-upon-Avon. I have a bit of a tumultous relationship with Shakespeare but I can’t deny that he has had a pretty significant impact on our literature. I think it would be pretty cool to learn a little more about him and visit ‘his’ town. Plus, all the internet pics make me think that it would be a blogger’s dream.
- Oxford. In a similar vein, Oxford seems like a place with a load of history for me to discover and explore. I went to Cambridge earlier in the year, which I really enjoyed so it would be good to see Oxford and then I can compare the two!
- Edinburgh. It has been far too long since I have been in Scotland. I have a lot of friends in Edinburgh, and plenty just round the corner in St Andrews so I would love to catch up with them all. Besides, it won’t be long until the Christmas markets are on and I used to love seeing them while I was living in Scotland. I think this one will be happening sooner rather than later.
- Manchester. I went to Manchester for my 16th birthday and really enjoyed it. I don’t think that I’ve been back in the city since then so it’s time to revisit it. I’m hoping to organise a day trip here with a friend of mine who lives down south as a kind of ‘meet in the middle’ thing.
- Bath. Every time I see pictures of Bath online, I desperately want to see it for myself. There’s just something about the architecture and the history of it that really appeals to me. I haven’t quite worked out the logistics of getting there from Darlington but when I do, I don’t think it will be long before I make a visit.
Where are your favourite places for a staycation or daytrip in the UK? I’m doing my best to see as many new places as possible this (academic) year so if you have any recommendations, please send them my way!