Well, things are changing again and many of us can now start to go out for dinner/lunch/ coffee again. I’m both very excited and a teensy bit nervous so I’ve been tentatively trying some of my old favourites again. No catastrophes so far!
If you are also starting to consider eating out again, you might have noticed that the government scheme means that you can get some money off when you do so. From the 3rd August to the 31st August, you can get a discount of 50% on food and soft drinks (for the Ts & Cs, check out the government update here). It is only applicable from Monday to Wednesday and the restaurant needs to sign up for it, but it is quite a hefty discount nonetheless.
Since I love supporting the local economy most of all, I’ve gathered together the local businesses in Darlington that I have noticed are offering the discounts. You might want to check out their social media for all the details but if you wanted a round up, you got it! I haven’t tried the deal myself yet but any business with a ^ next to it is one that I’ve tried for myself in other cirumstances and would recommend!
- Falafel Fella^. A personal favourite, I would wholeheartedly recommend the halloumi and falafel wrap. You can find the website here: https://falafelfella.co.uk/ or head to @falfelfellafood on Instagram.
- Sol Tapas. I am so tempted to try the tapas here for myself! You can find their website at https://www.soltapas.co.uk/ but they do seem to be posting regular updates on instagram (@soltapasrestaurant).
- Hole in the Wall^. The Butcher’s Board from this place is a new family favourite and I’m a big fan of their burgers! The most frequent updates seem to be on their Facebook account: https://www.facebook.com/holeinthewalldarlington/
- Tea With Alice^. They’re back and with a new deli in tow! This is one of my favourite brunch spots in town and I hope I can visit soon. They’re pretty active on both Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/helloteawithalice/) and Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/helloteawithalice/).
- Meze^. I love this Turkish restaurant and their very generous portion sizes. For more details, check out their Facebook account: https://www.facebook.com/Meze-Turkish-Restaurant-333974833652322/
- The Tapas Bar^. With both outdoor and indoor seating, this seems like a good choice if you’re a bit nervous and would rather not sit inside just yet. For updates, try their Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/oldyardtapasbar/
- Hatch^. While they’re continuing the takeaways at the hatch, they are open for sitting in again. For details and lush cake pics, try their instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/hatchluncheonette/
- The Juniper Tree^. I can wholeheartedly recommend their Poutine and Espresso Martini. For more information, check out their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/thejunipertreedarlington/
- Picco Pizzeria^. These are open for business again and a serious bargain even without the deal! If you want to see their menu, try their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/piccobarandpizzeria
- The Wandering Duck^. Another fab brunch place in the Imperial Quarter! It looks like they’re only open during the day at the moment but for updates, check out their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/thewanderingduck/
- Oven Restaurant. I haven’t been here in years but I’ve heard good things! For pictures of amazing yorkshires and details, they’re on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ovenrestaurantdarlington%20
- The Pennyweight^. A good old fashioned pub, The Pennyweight is a staple in the square. Their menus are available on their website: https://thepennyweight.co.uk/
- Tre Amici^. If you’ve missed Italian, then you should probably book a table at Tre Amici. They also have their menus on their website: https://www.tre-amici.co.uk/.
- Al Forno^. Known for their generous portions and good deals, Al Forno have also signed up for the deal. They’re posting regular updates on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AlFornoItalianDarlington/
- Voodoo Cafe^. I swear I’ve been daydreaming about the fajitas here. If you want to try them for yourself, check out their Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/voodoocafedarlington/
- Phixx Coffee Lounge^. These guys are some of the newer coffee shops in town but they are still a force to be reckoned with, adapting well with their cake and brownie deliveries. Instagram seems to be the best place for their updates: https://www.instagram.com/phixxcoffeelounge/
- Imperial Express^. These guys are also in the Imperial Quarter and a classic for the town. Facebook seems to be the best place for their updates: https://www.facebook.com/imperialexpresscafe/
- Salvos. These guys are reknowned for their good value so it was no surprise that they are offering the Eat Out to Help Out discount. Their Facebook has their contact details and photos of their lush food: https://www.facebook.com/SalvosCucinaItaliana !
- Star of Bengal. If you’ve missed a curry, you might want to check out Star of Bengal. They’ve posted all the details on their Facebook page too: https://www.facebook.com/StarDarlo/
- Maggie’s Place^. For coffee and cake, you might want to try Maggie’s Place! Instagram seems to be the best place for their updates: https://www.instagram.com/maggiesplacedukestreet/ and it is worth noting that it will start from next week (12th August) due to their well deserved holiday!
And there you have it! Local businesses you can support all while grabbing a bargain. If you’re not ready to eat out yet, you can also check out my post on takeaways here (though it might be worth double checking since businesses are changing with these new arrangements).
I hope this round up is helpful as a starting point for you.If you know of any smaller businesses that I’ve missed, let me know and I’ll update the post accordingly!